Cooltra offers two kinds of rental services: a per-minute rental and a long-term rental. The first one is pretty much the same as Yego and Acciona, the other is a daily or monthly rental with flat fees.
For these long-term rentals, you can reserve online or go directly to the shop and rent on the spot. Similarly, you can arrange for your scooter to be delivered to and later picked up from a select location, or go do it in person yourself.
Much like Yego, Cooltra offers scooters equivalent to 50cc, with a maximum speed of about 50 km/h (31 mph). They can be driven by anyone over the age of 18 with a valid ID and driver’s licence.
Types of licences accepted are AM, A1, A2, or B. B licences can be used starting from their first day of validity. You will only need an international driver’s licence if the agreement between your country of origin and Spain requires such a permit.
If you want, you can also book Cooltra electric scooters through Free Now . This way you’ll be able to rent Cooltra’s scooters on a per-minute basis at a cost of €0.28 per minute (this is the only rate available through Free Now).
In this case, the whole process - vehicle booking, pick-up, return, and troubleshooting - is done through Free Now. Of course, you will also need to upload your driver’s licence on Free Now.
However, remember that if you do decide to book Cooltra’s scooters this way, you won’t enjoy the €15.00 credit you normally get by downloading Cooltra through our link, available below.
If you want to have some more info about Free Now, you can read our article about apps to use in Valencia.
The per-minute service has a variety of pay-as-you-go and credit pack options. The cost of the pay-as-you-go service depends on the insurance package, either with an excess of €99.00 or €500.00.
This means that you are covered by insurance either way, but in case of an accident, you may be required to contribute up to €99.00 (in case you have an Insurance Plus or Advanced Cool price plan) or €500.00 (in case you have a Base, Be Planet, or Change Maker price plan).
On top of the pay-as-you-go options, there are three unlimited passes and four credit packs. With the latter, the cost per minute is lowest with the biggest credit pack. The unlimited passes have a set cost and duration (8h, 24h, and 48h), within which you can use the scooters however long you need.
Cooltra accepts any Mastercard or VISA credit, debit, or pre-paid card as payment methods.
Here is a breakdown of the price options.
|Option||Base, Advanced Cool, Be Planet||Change Maker||Insurance Plus||Changer||Eco||Sustainable||Earth Lover||8h Pass||24h Pass||48h Pass|
|Description||Pay-as-you-go||Pay-as-you-go||Pay-as-you-go||Prepaid €10.00||Prepaid €20.00||Prepaid €50.00||Prepaid €90.00||Unlimited usage pass for 8 hours||Unlimited usage pass for 24 hours||Unlimited usage pass for 48 hours|
For monthly or weekly rentals, you can check the Cooltra website or the article we have on this topic.
Sign up process
The sign-up process does not differ much from one app to the other, and it is always free.
How to sign up for Cooltra
- Download Cooltra from our link to get €15.00 in free credit.
- Open the app, indicate in which city you intend to use Cooltra, and then click on “next”.
- Put in your phone number and accept the terms and conditions.
- Enter the verification code that will have been sent to your phone number.
- Enter your email and new password.
- Next up, you’ll need to take a selfie.
- On the next page, you’ll be asked to upload the front and back of your driver’s licence. The same will be asked with an ID (passport or national ID).
- Enter your personal information (name, surname, date of birth, address, postcode).
- Add a payment method. No money will be taken from you at this point, it is just to verify that the card is valid.
- Choose a tariff (you can change this later on before starting to use your account).
- Wait for Cooltra to verify your information (this can take up to 48 hours). After the verification is complete, you’re all set and you can start riding Cooltra’s scooters!
Getting a scooter with Cooltra
Once you have signed up, getting and using a scooter is quite easy.
How to rent a Cooltra scooter
- Open up Cooltra’s app and tap on the closest available scooter.
- Tap on the “Reserve” button after verifying the vehicle’s autonomy and address shown on the screen.
- Once you reach the scooter’s location, swipe on the “slide to start” button on the app to unlock the vehicle.
- Click on the “Helmet” button on the app to open the case and get your helmet.
- Wear your helmet making sure that it’s well-fitted and secure.
- Pull the scooter down from its central stand.
- Press the “start” button on the scooter to turn it on. This will either be on the handlebar or at the height of your knee (in older models).
- At this point, you can start your ride.
- At the end of your ride, find a suitable parking spot and slide the scooter back on its stand.
- Put the helmet back into the case (to open the case click on the “helmet” button on the app).
- Make sure that the case is properly closed.
- Swipe on the “slide to end ride” button on your app.
- Click on “take photo” so that Cooltra can verify you parked the vehicle correctly. Make sure the picture includes the licence plate and the surroundings.
- You’ll get a summary of the cost
- Optionally, you can leave a review for the vehicle.
Cooltra’s extra features
Here is some more useful information about the functionalities of the app and other features that you might want to use before or during the rental process.
Once you select a scooter the vehicle will stay reserved for you for 15 minutes. After this time, your reservation will be automatically cancelled.
When you reach the location where your vehicle is, you can easily find your scooter by pressing the “beep-beep” button. This will make the horn sound and the indicators blink.
You can take a passenger with you, that’s why there are two helmets in the case.
You can drive however much you like and wherever you like, even outside the operative area, as long as you return the scooter within the area.
During your trip, you can set your scooter on pause mode from the app (€0.10 per minute). This is ideal in case you need to run a quick errand.
At the end of your ride, you may park your scooter anywhere within the permitted area, while respecting local norms. You can check all rules and norms in the relevant section of the article
Advantages and disadvantages
Cooltra’s strength is definitely the range of options they offer, with plenty of long term rentals (either per day or even per month) and short term rentals (pay-as-you-go, credit packs, or unlimited usage passes).
For long term rentals, you can also choose whether to do this online or in-person with an attendant to guide you. Moreover, once you are a customer with Cooltra, you will also have a phone number on which you can contact them in case of need.
On the other hand, Cooltra’s fleet is not as numerous as those of other rental services in Valencia. Considering the speed limits within the city, the maximum speed of Cooltra’s scooters (50 km/h, 31 mph) should not be a problem.
Another minor drawback that we found with Cooltra is the lack of help for prospective customers. That is, if you want further information before signing up for the service, it is difficult to get satisfying and complete assistance through their chat.