The history of this important landmark dates back to the late Middle Ages. The period between the 14th and the 15th century was a time of great economic expansion for Valencia, so much that the period is now considered the Valencian Golden Age.
This development led to demographic and urban expansion, which brought the need for city walls and gateways. From then on the Torres de Serranos have stood through the centuries, until they got to us, in the present day.
End of the 14th century
Commissioning of the Towers
The Towers were commissioned by the Valencian government as one of the 12 gates along the city’s defensive walls.
Construction site opens
In April 1392 construction began on the site of an old gateway. The architect, Pere Balaguer, took inspiration from other Gothic gates with polygonal towers.
Completion of the Towers
The Towers were finally completed after six years, on 19th March.
Towers become a prison
In 1586, one of the main prisons in Valencia was destroyed by a fire. The Serranos Towers were then repurposed as a prison for knights and nobility.
The adjustments that had to be carried out to adapt the Towers disfigured the building. These modifications included the installation of iron gratings that damaged the walls, new walls and windows, and even the piercing of some Gothic decorations.
Demolition of the old city walls
In 1865, the ancient city walls started being dismantled to allow for the expansion of the city. Only three gateways were saved from this at the time, the Quart Towers, the Judíosgate, and the Serranos Towers.
The city council decided to fill in the ditch in front of the gate, which affected the appearance of the building.
Prison gets moved away from the Towers
The Towers ceased to act as prison in 1888 when the prisoners were moved to the San Agustín monastery.
The Towers were restored between 1893 and 1914.
Spanish Civil War
During the Spanish Civil War (1936 to 1939), works of art from the Prado Museum were stored in the building, making a number of modifications necessary.
- 1954 Cridà
In 2000, the stone surfaces were cleaned, giving the building its current appearance.