Commemorative stone on Torres de Quart in Valencia
Torres de Quart

A brief history

The history of this important landmark dates back to the late Middle Ages. The period between the 14th and the 15th century was a time of great economic expansion for Valencia, so much that the period is now considered the Valencian Golden Age.

Torres de Quart before and now - 1888 and 2022 comparison
.

This development led to demographic and urban expansion, which brought the need for city walls and gateways. From then on the Torres de Quart have stood through the centuries, until they got to us, in the present day.

  • End of the 14th centuryCommissioning of the TowersThe Towers were commissioned by the Valencian government as one of the 12 gates along the city’s defensive walls.
  • 1441GroundworkWork began on preparing the site for construction.
  • 1443Beginning of worksThe actual construction works started in 1443.
  • 1469 End of worksAfter years of construction at the hands of various master builders (Francesc Baldomar, Jaime Pérez, and Pere Comte), the Towers were finished.
  • 1562Gunpowder storageThe Diputación de la Generalidad del Reino occupied part of the Towers as a gunpowder store.
  • 1626Female prisonOne of the towers was temporarily used as a prison for female prostitutes.
  • 1808Napoleonic bombardmentsThe Towers resisted siege and attacks by Napoleonic troops in June 1808. This put an end to the use of the Towers as female prisons.
  • After 1813Military prisonThe governor again claimed the use of the building as a military prison.
  • 1865Demolition of the old city wallsIn 1865, the ancient city walls started being dismantled to allow for the expansion of the city. Only three gateways were saved from this at the time, the Serranos Towers, the JudíosGate, and the Quart Towers.
  • 1931Quart Towers declared National MonumentsThe Towers are registered as National Monument and they appear in a law referring to the Patrimonio Histórico Español (Spanish national heritage).
  • 1933-1982Renovation worksDifferent renovation works took place in 1933, the 1950s, and then later on in 1972 and 1982. The works included regular maintenance, as well as more specific operations, like freeing the Towers from all the alterations made to render them suitable as prisons.
  • End of 20th centuryParrot nestsSince the last decades of the 20th century, parrots and other exotic birds that have escaped from their cages have nested and reproduced in the holes caused by the artillery on the exterior façade.
  • 2007Opening to the publicThe site was cleaned up and finally opened to the public.